When we woke up today, my legs were killing me. It wasn't until I reminisced about yesterday's teeter-tottering experiment that I realized why. Alicia and I were playing with a couple of babies at the toddler's home when we spotted their new teeter-totter. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that the leverage was as smooth as I remembered it to be as Alicia and I ended up basically doing the deepest squats in our lives.....while holding twenty pound babies. Needless to say, it didn't last long!
We headed to Royal Hope Academy today to meet an American who has started a Christian school for needy children and orphans. She is only 26 and has done amazing things in her two years here. She lives with 15 of the orphaned children and runs the school. She was clear to say that she lets her children know that they are not, in fact, orphans. They are children of the King of Kings and they are loved.
When we walked to their school, we were greeted in the streets with some of the. 400 students singing welcome songs to us. They proceeded to lead us in worship...and it was amazing. I like to think that I have some sense of rhythm, but all of these Ugandans put me to shame! Their worship is pure and sweet. As we watched them sing and dance, some of the younger students climbed in our laps and we were happy to loan them a seat for the morning!
We ate lunch in their school house and played for a bit longer until we headed to Jinja for the 3 hour ride. Upon arriving, we went to the King Fisher Resort for a boat ride down the Nile River (which was very neat!) and dinner. Dinner was an experience to say the least. I am not the bravest eater, so I don't eat any meat in Africa. I said that I would like to have "the waffle" which meant that I ended up with just one.......waffle. I should have said "waffles" like the others...who ended up with full plates. Pineapple juice, fruit plates and waffles were our chosen fare. We shared two paper napkins, forks and ate in the dark while stray cats circled around. No exactly a typical "resort" but it was a fun memory!
We came to Canaan's Children's Home tonight and were greeted by the precious children in their pajamas. We said goodnight and came to our bunks. Just as we arrived, a younger girl who has been here many times said, "Oh, yeah, by the way...be sure to. Check your bed for droppings. They have mice and rats here." Heavens to Besty......I just paid for a restaurant grade pest control service at my house because I can't handle roaches.....RATS!? Just then, we heard some crazy squeaking coming from the next room, it was a bat in the shower. Sure. Thankfully, a few of our guys took care of business and ushered him out of the house.
Let's just say I was a bit freaked out...am....a bit freaked out. But, these precious children steal your heart. Each one of them. I am so thankful to be here.





This is a picture ofRebecca's bathroom. She is the Mama to 15 orphans. Precious work....
No comments:
Post a Comment