Monday, July 25, 2011

M1

We had an incredible opportunity to work with a ministry called 60 Feet today that reaches children who are in prison for various reasons. (For privacy reasons, I cannot post pictures, but have many to share upon my return.) A native Ugandan man began this ministry and has been revolutionizing life for these children for the past 7 months. You can check out their work at www.sixty feet.org

Some of these children have committed murder, rape and other capital offenses. Others are members of a tribe called The Karamajong in Uganda. They are looked down upon as they are typically very poor. A few years ago, someone in Ugandan politics decided that there are to be no more "street children" so they have since been scooped up and brought into these buildings. 60 feet currently works with 6 such institutions and is providing for these hopeless children with the message of The Gospel and providing for their physical needs, as well. It was an overwhelming day for many reasons, again about which I have been asked not to write, but I will say that the Ugandan man who works with these children is just like "Jesus with skin on" as some might say.

Today, in his message, he spoke to them about the story of King David and about how many mistakes he made in life. He murdered, committed adultery, etc. But, at the end of the day, he is regarded as one of God's most prominently chosen Kings. Why? He was brought to his knees and asked for forgiveness and then, he turned from his sin and chose to walk in a new way that would reflect a heart that follows God. He told these children that they, too, have the chance to turn from their ways and walk with God in a new way. It was a beautiful message. Talk about giving these children hope in Christ! Many children sang and worshiped with hands in the air and smiles on their faces. You can see the hope that. Can only come through a Savior!

We gave the children clothing, shoes, food and had some good play time with them. What a blessing it was to be a part of this ministry
today. We will work in two more similar places tomorrow.

On a much lighter note, Kari and I were in charge of making sandwiches for the volunteers today. We weren't told that there were no knives to spread the peanut butter and jelly, so we got creative. I used my passport card ( it's the weight of a credit card) and whipped up 35 sandwiches in no time :)
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Some of the finished product!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Just a few stray animals along the way....
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

  1. I have a very important question to ask Laura, sorry know this is not the time for openness. I sent her an email but doubt if she will get it. Laura we have a place on the trip does it matter who the speaker is. It is a friend of mine and I didn't know how you felt about going with him. Let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like God is using each of you to impact so many sweet children. I will continue to pray that the gospel will be clear, and that lives and hearts will be eternally changed!

    ReplyDelete