Tuesday, July 26, 2011

M2 and M3

Today was another very sobering day. We arrived at another children's prison this morning and walked in to see a child who had fainted and was unconscious. I was so thankful for Laura and another member of our team who are nurses and were quick to respond to his needs. He must have been out for over twenty minutes. Finally, he came back around and opened his eyes. He was taken to a nearby clinic and tested for malaria. He does not have malaria, but was something unexplainable. That was a tough way to begin our day.

We enjoyed our time introducing ourselves and singing with the kids today. They wanted to know the following things about each of us: our names, our ages, our favorite foods, our occupations and what we did for a living. When it was my turn, when I mentioned that I was not married, a boy shouted out, "Why not? What are you waiting on?" To which I replied, "A man who loves Jesus!" he said, " I love Jesus and I will buy you lots of ice cream!" (Because I had just said that it was my favorite food.) It was hilarious. Who knew I had to come to a Ugandan prison to meet a man!?

We have also been laughing about the fact that Bailey's name has been butchered each day. She has been called Becky, Barry, and today she was called Betty. I think Betty is my favorite :)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Thankful that these children get three meals a day.

I hung out with a child with special needs named R. (Privacy needed, again) He was a doll. All he knew to talk about was how much Jesus loved him and how He made all things. It was precious to see that he knew to Whom he belonged, even if he knew and understood

We went to another prison this afternoon that was full of 172 babies and toddlers who have been abandoned. Almost every child had a fever and many of them were not wearing pants or underwear. We were broken to see that these precious little ones were not being loved by parents, at such a tender and formative age.. Our team was so overwhelmed by the ministry of Sixty Feet (www.sixtyfeet.org) that we to gather up some money to support them. We raised over $2,200 and I can't wait to give it to the man in charge of the ministry. He is truly doing the Lord's work.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Joe, our team leader, holding our donations. Thank you all who helped donate to our trip! This gift is from you, too!

We will pack up tonight and head to another town called Jinja after our work tomorrow. We will be working at a school called Royal Hope Academy and then will be staying at the orphanage called Canaan's Children's Home for the remainder of our trip. We will be staying on site, so we will get to have several days in a row with the same children. I am looking forward to that!

2 comments:

  1. I have loved reading the updates so far! The children are beautiful and I can only imagine the impact you are having by just loving on them. So encouraging. I will continue to pray for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Sheehan! I think we finally figured out how to comment!! We love reading your updates and are praying for you! Mitchell says he remembers that the Israelites crossed the Red Sea to escape Egypt an as soon as the last one got across all of the Egyptians chasing them were swallowed up! We love your pictures...Emily would so love to be there hugging precious children! Blessings for continued good health and ministry! beth and mitchell

    ReplyDelete