Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday

Psalm 28:7 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song I will praise him."

We were awakened by a terrible thunderstorm that began before we went to sleep last night. I am thankful that our roof did not leak and we are all safe and sound. As we have noted, their lives still go on even in terrible weather and mud floors....so will ours. So, we carry on today. In my heart, I woke up thinking, "Oh,  I really don't want to get soaking wet!" But the Lord was quick to redirect my thoughts to say, "Pour me out, Lord!" I am so thankful that He doesn't allow me to remain in my own thoughts, but redirects my heart toward His purposes.

We went into some very rural parts of Jinja today with translators to speak to the Karamajong people. What a lovely group of women and children we met. There was only one man in the town, as the others have all died from AIDS. These women have been widowed and are taking care of the children that are theirs as well as the children that have been orphaned in their community. Alicia did a fabulous job sharing the Gospel with them and praying for them when we were in a big group under a tree. Here are a few pictures of that time we had together.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was able to lead them in a few songs and explain what we were singing. They sang back to us and, as I told them, I was fully prepared to be quickly humbled when I heard them singing. Put me to shame!

The most upsetting part thus far, for me, was when we were taken into individual homes to pray for these women. Susan is a women who has been widowed because of AIDS. She is raising her husband's 14 children alone and she, too, is infected. She has absolutely nothing. She began to cry when she was telling us how worried she is about her own death, as she doesn't know what will happen to her children. I cannot imagine that thought. Here she is with her goat below:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then, Christen and I were taken into the home of a man who is on his death bed. He was pouring sweat and could only moan. His wife told us that the doctors don't know how to help him. I was able to pray with him.....and it was absolutely heart breaking. AIDS has literally ravaged this village....and these children are paying the price. Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

  1. I read my children your blog today and we are overwhelmed! We prayed that the power of Christ would indeed be poured out of each of you and that you will be strengthened by the joy of the Lord in your own lives. We will continue to pray and I will continue to read your updates to my children, though I cry through every one!! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My heart is overwhelmed with everything you all are doing. Your updates and pictures are a reminder of how blessed I truly am. God is using you all in so many wonderful ways. I love love love reading your updates! You all are in my prayers.
    Stephanie Schultz
    (Laura is my BFF from Baylor!)

    ReplyDelete